One of the historical monuments of Barguzin is the Transfiguration Cathedral of the Saviour
The first church in Barguzin was built in 1649 and was dedicated to the Saviour. 150 years later a Transfiguration Cathedral was erected. By 1800 the both buildings had become so decrepit that it was dangerous to perform rites in them. Finally, in 1834 the construction of the Transfiguration Cathedral of the Saviour was promoted and funded from donations by the Tchurnykhs merchants. The Cathedral was built in First Large Street on the shore of the Barguzin River; the modern name is Krasnoarmeisky Street.
There was a church shop right opposite the Cathedral. It sold church utensils, such as candles, icons, and crucifixes. The church shop and the house itself belonged to the affluent Tsukasov family. Barguzin District